The Haras du Gazon is situated in the geographical centre of Normandy, just beyond the village of Neuvy au Houlme.
It’s close to the Channel ferry ports and well placed for all the attractions of both the Calvados and lesser known Orne departments of Normandy.
The centre of Paris is only 275km (170 miles) away – a 2-hour-45-minute drive or 2-hour train journey.
- Bazoches au Houlme – dépôt de pain, corner shop, bar. 4.5km, (2.8 miles), 9 minute drive
- Putanges – Pretty riverside market town, bank, mini supermarket, boulangeries, charcuterie, restaurants, bars. 9.6km, (6 miles), 13 minute drive
- Falaise – Small, historic market town, supermarkets, restaurants 14.4km, (9 miles), 18 minute drive
- Argentan – Large historic market town, supermarkets, restaurants 17.5km, (11 miles), 23 minute drive
- Caen – Provincial capital city of the Calvados department 51.5km, (32 miles), 45 minute drive
- Alençon – Provincial capital city of the Orne department 69.5km, (43 miles), 50 minute drive
GPS coordinates: N48 °48.562 ‘ W000 °12.025 ‘ / 48.808997, -0.200718
This satellite image of the Haras shows the extent of the property shaded in colour, with the village of Neuvy au Houlme to the north. Gîtes Almé and Baloubet form the east wing of the ‘Y’ shape seen in the centre of this image, enclosing the parterre.
Car essential. Nearest amenities 4.5km
Bring your own car on the Channel ferry. Or, if flying into Paris, rather than picking up a car there (driving out of Paris can be quite challenging) consider taking the train to Caen where there is plenty of choice of car hire companies and much less busy roads. Carigami will give you an idea of what is available there.
Easily accessible on good roads from ferry ports.
- Caen 45 minutes
- Le Havre 1hr 30
- Cherbourg 2 hr
- Dieppe 2hr 15
- St Malo 2hr 15
- Boulogne 3hr 15
- Calais 3 hr 35
- And just 2 hr 45 from Paris
Come straight here or take the scenic route
Arrive on one of the luxurious Brittany ferries at the port at Caen-Ouistreham and then come to us direct – it’s only a 45 minutes’ drive on good, open roads. Perhaps stock up on the unbelievably large selection of good value French wines and local cider in Falaise on the way.
Or you could take the ferry to Le Havre – overnight with LD lines from Portsmouth or the morning express with Brittany ferries – and, instead of coming direct to the Haras (136km/85 miles, 90 minutes), take in some sight-seeing on the coast of the Normandy ‘Riviera’ and Pays d’Auge on the way. Perhaps take a brief detour to see the picturesque fishing village of Honfleur and/or experience Deauville, the stylish summer seaside resort favoured by Parisiens, before heading south via the medieval half-timbered village of Beuvron en Auge with its official classification as one of ‘Le plus beaux villages de France’.
- Paris Charles de Gaulle is nearest major international airport, then 296km,(184 miles) 2hrs 50 by road to the Haras du Gazon.
- Deauville St Gatien airport: 99.5 km, (62 miles) 1 hr 10 by road to the Haras du Gazon. Flights from London Stansted airport.
- To our local station at Argentan (17.5 km, 11 miles from Haras). Easy, comfortable, regular service to and from Paris-Montparnasse (2hrs), Le Mans (1 hr), from Caen (40 mins) and from the west coast at Granville (1hr 10)
- To Caen (51.5km , 32 miles from Haras). Good service to and from Paris-St Lazare (2 hrs)